Thursday, February 10, 2011

What is a kitchen for if it is not for making cakes?

This last weekend Colin took a break from the kitchen to enjoy the snow we had recieved and get some good skiing in and I took some time to do something I love- baking. I figured that he, Eric, and his parents would be tired and hungry when they got back. So I decided to make them a thank you dinner, it was not nearly enough to thank them for all that they have done to help us, and me while I have been sick.

What did I make? I made a Morrcan stew with couscous, salad, green chile cheese roles, and the best part... Chocolate cake with carmel whipped cream filling, topped with carmel and fried bananas.

Here is a sort of reciepe. I say sort of since I made it up and had to improvise since Idid not have enough ingredients and I am not sure I remember everything perfectly. That and I don't use measuring cups very accurately. I just heap stuff in.

For the Cake:
Melt one stick of butter and four handfuls of chocolate chips together. Maybe five handfuls ( I will leave that up to you.) In a mixing bowl mix 2 egss and 1 an 1/2 cups sugar. After beating for a minute add in the chocolate mixture. Then add 2 cups of flour, a pinch of salt, vanilla, and 1 teaspoon backing powder. Mix completly and divide into two greased springform pans - mine were 9 inch ones. Bake at 350 for say 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool then take off springforms.

For the carmel:
Melt 1 and 1/2 cups sugar in soucepot. It will get clumpy then it will smooth out. Be careful melted sugar is much hotter than boiling water. When sugar is melted and slightly brown ( not too brown) add a stick of butter. Stir as you have never stirred before ( I used a silicon whisk). When butter is incorported add 1 cup of heavy cream. The mixture will get clumpy but keep it over the heat and keep stirring and it will smooth out again. When smooth take off heat and let cool, away from tasting fingers.

For the creamy middle:
Whip another cup of whipped cream until stiff peaks form. Add is some carmel. Probably about 4 tablespoons. Or until it looks yummy.  Keep whipping until the carmel is incorporated. Spread this onto one of the cakes and then place the other cake on top. Then pour the rest of your carmel sauce over the cake. (I kept some in the bowl for my morning coffee.)

For the bananas:
Slice up several bannans - I think I did 5. Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a non-stick fry pan and then add the bannanas. Fry until soft and browning on the edges. Place on top of the cake.

For the eating:
Dig in - what are you waiting for?


No comments:

Post a Comment